Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Susan Feltri
Grade 8 English Language Arts
Welcome students, parents, guardians, and families to my 8th Grade English Language Arts class website!
I am excited about teaching 8th Grade English Language Arts at Reynolds Middle School.
I would like to tell you about myself. I am a New Jersey native and have lived in Northern, Central, and Southern NJ. For the last 23 years, I have lived locally with my husband and two children. I hold a BA in English from Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. My first career was working for a corporation, where I gained experience writing marketing advertisements and training guides, as well as conducting training sessions. After working several years in the corporate world, I decided to devote more time to raising my children. A couple of years later, I worked as a substitute teacher in public and private schools. Soon I realized that I absolutely loved teaching! So I went back to school and earned a MS in General and Special Education from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. I was an elementary school teacher for a few years, but I longed to be an English teacher because I cherished the time I studied English Literature at Rutgers. For nearly a decade, I have been a public middle school ELA teacher specializing in teaching students who have various learning needs. I consider it an honor to teach 8th grade ELA at RMS because of the well-respected education provided by the Hamilton Township School District, especially RMS.
My teaching philosophy is that ALL students CAN learn. I differentiate instruction to address my students’ learning needs, so that all students can meet their maximum learning potential. I instill in my students that they should have a growth mindset, not only in school but in life. In order for students to meet their full potential, they need to be in a positive classroom environment where they feel comfortable participating and sharing their ideas. Attached below, you will find the syllabus for my class.
Please contact me if you have any questions and concerns. Students have the greatest potential for success when teachers and parents/guardians work together.
I am looking forward to a successful school year!
Mrs. Susan Feltri
1. Please visit your child’s Powerschool Portal to view ALL upcoming due dates for assessments, projects, and homework.
2. Students will be given 1 WEEK to complete and submit a formative or summative assignment. Teachers will use their discretion about dropping points for late assignments. If not handed in for partial credit after one week, the assignment will receive a Zero.
3. Assignments that are not submitted on time will have a “0” placeholder UNTIL the assignment is completed and submitted. Once a grade is placed, the Zero is removed.
Grade 8 English Language Arts 2023-2024
Mrs. Susan Feltri
COURSE OBJECTIVE DESCRIPTION:
- To read and comprehend different genres, including stories, novels, poetry, and non-fiction
- To understand and use academic vocabulary, isolated vocabulary, and vocabulary in the context of literature
- To speak effectively and coherently when presenting essays/projects
- To participate productively in class discussions/group assignments
- To learn how to conduct research using MLA citations
- To learn how to write structurally sound and grammatically correct essays
- To learn how to collaborate with classmates to develop projects/essays
- To learn how to peer edit and give constructive criticism to improve writing
- Into Literature HMH Grade 8
- Night by Ellie Weisel
- Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (first 22 pages)
- The Pigman by Paul Zindel
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- GoogleSuite (Classroom, Email, Meet, Calendar, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms)
- Noodle Tools
- (More platforms TBD as the year progresses)
- Summative: 50%
(Grammar, Literature Comprehension Tests, Essays, Projects, and Book Reports)
- Formative: 40%
(Vocabulary Quizzes, Reading Responses, Google Classroom Work)
- Individual practice:10%
(Short Classwork Assignments and Homework)
- Directions will be available for all long-term assignments through GoogleClassroom. Due dates will also be posted on PowerSchool.